Joshua Stream Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Random Spellbook Generator 5E [Extension]

    Your party wanders into a mad wizard's library.

    The labyrinthine stacks of books and tomes tower around them.

    The wizard is at home here and delves into the piles in search of new spells.

    Now you can provide that wizard more tomes than he could possibly carry!

    With the Spellbook Generator 5E extension, you can quickly generate a tome with any number of spells, with any casting time, with any range, with any description!

    Finally!

    Rewards for the spell hungry wizard or the curious arcane trickster!

    Watch it Here!

    Get it on DMs Guild

  2. #2
    Compatibility with the Random NPC Treasure Drops extension has been added. If you have both extensions, when you loot an NPC that has a "Spellcasting" trait that has "wizard" in its text, a spellbook item will be generated (or pulled from your library) filled with spells that NPC has.

  3. #3
    Great work! Your extensions are very useful and well done.

    Here's some feedback:

    - It would be cool to have a reset/clear button to spellbook generator.
    - Spellbook generator filters are case sensitive, so "wizard" won't work, "Wizard" does.
    - Spellbooks generated in loot have all spells repeated many times and are VERY expensive (11k+ GP)
    - The automatic spell book loot generator works with the first npc only (or with the ones it worked on previous sessions).
    - NPCs that are able to generate spellbooks, inherit the current spellbook description in the spellbook window (if any) forever. Even after you start a new session.

    I've tested with FG Unity (4.0.10) with only this extension and "NPC Random Encounter Generator" enabled. Both updated to the last avaliable version (February 04, 2021).
    Last edited by Alanrockid; February 5th, 2021 at 15:11. Reason: forgot to mention the FG Unity Version
    "A saint does what is right. A leader does what is necessary."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanrockid View Post
    Great work! Your extensions are very useful and well done.

    Here's some feedback:

    - It would be cool to have a reset/clear button to spellbook generator.
    - Spellbook generator filters are case sensitive, so "wizard" won't work, "Wizard" does.
    - Spellbooks generated in loot have all spells repeated many times and are VERY expensive (11k+ GP)
    - The automatic spell book loot generator works with the first npc only (or with the ones it worked on previous sessions).
    - NPCs that are able to generate spellbooks, inherit the current spellbook description in the spellbook window (if any) forever. Even after you start a new session.

    I've tested with FG Unity (4.0.10) with only this extension and "NPC Random Encounter Generator" enabled. Both updated to the last avaliable version (February 04, 2021).
    Thank you.

    So I can work on adding some clear/reset buttons.

    I left case sensitivity so that custom made classes can be used without concern (say you wanted a spellbook of Paladin stuff but don’t want Anti-paladin spells in that list for example).

    I’ll have to look into the issue of duplicate spell names in a list, I haven’t seen that yet but if I’m to make a wager, it’s from having duplicate spells in your library. Say from robs spell codings and the phb . If not, then it’s something in the code that’s missing.

    I’ll alao have to look into it making only one spellbook. It will only make one for each similar named npc (Wizard 1 and Wizard 2 have the same spellbook) then it will reuse that spellbook from your library. But if it’s only making a spellbook for the Wizard while there’s an illusionist and an apprentice being looted too, that’s a problem I’ll have to fix.

    I’ll also have to look into the description being added to the looted books, that wasn’t my intention, and I haven’t noticed that, but if it’s occurring, I’ll fix it.

    Thanks for the feedback. Check for updates in the coming week.

    Edit: I also noticed you said NPC Random Encounter Generator. There’s currently no compatibility with my Random Encounter Generator 5E extension, I’m assuming you mean the NPC Random Treasure Drops extension.

  5. #5
    What i mean with that is only the first compatible npc will generate a spellbook in that gaming session.

    Ex.: If i launch FG and create an encounter with an Archmage, for example, it will generate a spellbook. However, any subsequent encounters with compatible NPCs in that session will not give you any spellbook.
    If i quit FG and relaunch it, i can generate another encounter with a Drow Mage, for example, and it will generate a spellbook. Archmage also will work, because you have followed this rule in previous sessions, but any other compatible caster will not work, unless you restart again and repeat this steps for each one.
    "A saint does what is right. A leader does what is necessary."

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanrockid View Post
    What i mean with that is only the first compatible npc will generate a spellbook in that gaming session.

    Ex.: If i launch FG and create an encounter with an Archmage, for example, it will generate a spellbook. However, any subsequent encounters with compatible NPCs in that session will not give you any spellbook.
    If i quit FG and relaunch it, i can generate another encounter with a Drow Mage, for example, and it will generate a spellbook. Archmage also will work, because you have followed this rule in previous sessions, but any other compatible caster will not work, unless you restart again and repeat this steps for each one.
    If it makes a NEW item, the new item pops open, but if it already exists, it should be just added to the list without it popping up. And only for spellcasters that have “wizard” in the traits description. Does the loot parcel not end up with all the spellbooks?

  7. #7
    Another suggestion is to tag the spells with level and possibly class for those of us who can't remember all the spell titles, but want to understand the basic book contents. Also in my case I am running Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I had to generate 12 books with differing spans of level (e.g. 4x 1, 4x 1-3, 4x 1-6) and each level had to have 4 spells. I don't believe I could express that in the current parameter panel.
    Last edited by webdove; February 5th, 2021 at 19:09.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by webdove View Post
    Another suggestion is to tag the spells with level and possibly class for those of us who can't remember all the spell titles, but want to understand the basic book contents. Also in my case I am running Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I had to generate 12 books with differing spans of level (e.g. 4x 1, 4x 1-3, 4x 1-6) and each level had to have 4 spells. I don't believe I could express that in the current parameter panel.
    That’s something I want to look into, making it so you can dictate number of spells per level to generate.

    I’m not sure what you mean by the first part of your post or if that was directed to me or the other comment.

  9. #9
    It would be nice in the preview window if it grouped the spells by level. I guess its unlikely that one would need to tag by class since multi class scrolls are unlikely to happen.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pr6i6e6st View Post
    If it makes a NEW item, the new item pops open, but if it already exists, it should be just added to the list without it popping up. And only for spellcasters that have “wizard” in the traits description. Does the loot parcel not end up with all the spellbooks?
    No. It won't generate any spellbooks, neither in parcels or items. I'm aware of the pre requisites and i've made sure to select the right ones for testing (archmage, drow mage, conjurer...) It only work for the first npc entry looted in that session (and the ones from other sessions).
    About the repeating spells, i believe you were right. It's repeating the spells because there are duplicates in different books. However, deactivate a module is not an option (invisibility, for example, is is phb, tasha's, srd and basic rules). Is that something else that could be done about it? (Also, the huge price tag was mainly due to the amount of repeated spells).
    "A saint does what is right. A leader does what is necessary."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Fantasy Grounds Fridays Pre

Log in

Log in